A rich history that began in a small village of Southern France. The lovely old village of Avène is located in the Orb valley, in the heart of the Haut-Languedoc Regional Park. Surrounded by nature, patients spend their time in a quiet, unspoiled environment. The climatic conditions provide a lush vegetation and under the Mediterranean and Atlantic influences, Avène enjoys a perfectly balanced climate with plenty of sunshine.
But let us start from the beginning….
Avène, a beautiful story
- 1736: It all started when the Marquis de Rocozel’s horse was turned loose to roam the slopes of the Black Mountain in southwest of France due to a severe skin disease. The horse found the thermal spring in Avene. It started drinking the water and take some bath in it. A few months its skin desease was healed. That is how the soothing, anti-irritating properties of Avène Thermal Spring Water were discovered.
- 1743: The Marquis of Rocozels, owner of the site, built the first thermal spring facilities. The first patients suffering from atopic dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, and burns arrive at the Orb Valley and the Sainte-Odile spring.
- 1871: America first discovers the Avène Thermal Spring Water properties as the thermal water was sent to the USA to treat the burnt victims of the Great Chicago Fire.
- 1874: The Spring is declared to be of “Public Interest” by the French government
- 1989: A first line of skincare product using Avene Thermal Water as a key element is created. Avene Thermal Water is now available for the reste of the world.
- 1990: The Hydrotherapy Center, connected directly to the spring is renovated and open. Avène Dermatological Laboratories activities starts.
- 1993 and 2003: The production plant is expanded
- 2007: Avène Dermatological Laboratories consolidate their international leader position. Today, the Avène Hydrotherapy Center attracts 2600 patients per year who benefit from excellent products available in France and in close to 100 countries.
A real relationship based on trust is taking place between Avène and its consumers all over the world.
This trust is based on the dermatological benefits of Avène Thermal Spring Water, included in all the products, but also trust in the relevance of the always innovative formulas.
Today, Avene products enjoy a strong presence in pharmacies in France. And this trust in our products is now becoming global since the Avène Thermal Spring Water brand is now recognized worldwide, from the U.S. (Derma Skin Corners) to Japan, China, a market that it pioneered and where it is now a cosmetic market leader in pharmacies.